Trying to find that one drink that not only tastes great, but also has amazing health benefits?
Look no further. This concoction of lemon, cucumber and mint is as refreshing as they come.
With each ingredient having its own incredible health properties, this really isn’t a drink you want to miss out on.
Lemon water has been used for decades as an excellent means of detoxing the body. By adding a finely cut lemon to a large jug and mixing with water, you can improve digestive transit and even improve the functionality of your immune system.
Also known as a ‘Russian Water’, popping a couple of pieces of cucumber into a glass of water will give you an incredibly thirst-quenching drink.
On their own, cucumbers have some incredible health properties:
1. Containing large quantities of vitamins, cucumbers can make you feel more awake, reducing the need for coffee!
2. Made up of 90% water, cucumbers will re-hydrate you in no time. Remember not to peel them, though– a cucumber’s skin contains almost all of their vitamins.
3. With their high levels of pinoresinol and secoisolariciresinol, cucumbers contain natural cancer-fighting properties. These two ingredients have a long scientific history for their association with combating cancer cells.
4. The same as Aloe Vera, the skin from cucumbers has anti-inflammatory properties and can be used to treat sunburn and bites.
5. Cucumber’s high quantity of vitamins A-C make it an excellent means of improving your complexion. By making a smoothie out of carrot, spinach and cucumber you can make one powerful drink for more radiant skin.
6. Because it has such a low calorie content and is so high in water, cucumber can make you feel full without you having to worry about putting on weight. This makes cucumber a great means of losing weight. In addition to this, the high fiber content means cucumber can effectively cleanse the digestive system of unwanted toxins obtained from fatty foods.
7. Cucumber can also fight bad breath. The phytochemical content in cucumbers means that by placing a slice on your tongue for 30 seconds, you can remove any unwelcome oral odors!
8. Containing a large dose of vitamin B and electrolytes means that cucumber fights hangovers. If you eat some just before going to sleep, it can work to reduce the headache when you wake up.
9. Cucumber can work to prevent arthritis by promoting overall joint health. They contain high levels of potassium and magnesium in addition to vitamins, so by reducing the levels of uric acid they can reduce the chances of it developing.
By combining these ingredients, you’ll create the aforementioned delicious beverage that improves digestion, promotes weight loss and boosts skin health.
Mint, lemon and cucumber recipe:
- 1 organic cucumber
- 10 mint leaves
- 3 small lemons
- 12 cups of filtered water
Slice the washed lemons and cucumbers and add them, with the mint, into the jug. Add the water and refrigerate, leaving 5 hours before consumption.
Re-posted with permission from our friends wellmindness.com